How are new paintings created and other FAQ
Q. How are Chart Art prints created?
Chart Art prints are made from digital copies of an original painting by well-known Pacific Northwest artist Betty Vestuto.
Q. What is the cost of a new painting?
The base cost of a new original is $595.00 plus $100.00 shipping. The $595.00 includes one item in the painting with a generic background. Additional items, e.g. 2nd boat, lighthouse, custom background, etc. increases the price by $100- $150 per additional item, depending on complexity. The original painting comes to you framed in oak and ready to hang. Its overall size is 30" x 36"The original painting is commissioned and purchased by you but the copyright is retained by the artist.
Q. How do I commission a new painting for my unit? What do I need to provide Chart Art to create a new painting?
- Start by creating a sketch of how you see the painting composed. The artist likes to compose her paintings on a single level. In other words the main subject of the painting should be on the same level as any extras like lighthouses or breakwaters or background. Your sketch does not have to be detailed; just enough to give the artist your concept of the painting.
- Then gather some digital images of what you want painted. When doing this think DETAIL. The artist loves detail because she will paint everything with a lot of detail. The perfect set of images of a ship, for instance, will be one of the whole ship taking up the complete field of view; then several other images showing sections of the ship and all the details that makes up the ship.
- You send us the images digitally and we have to be able to print them as 8 x 10; so thumbnails never work. We cannot use aerial photos.
- We need images of your boat or ship underway (don't necessarily have to be making way). We want to see the flag placement underway not the moored configuration. Images with a pier or buildings in the background obscure detail of the ship/boat. DON'T SEND PICTURES OF YOUR BOAT ON A TRAILER OR YOUR SHIP MOORED.
- Don’t send pictures of the starboard side if you want us to paint the port side. (it happens) Keep in mind that we cannot paint a beam aspect with a bow picture and vice versa.
- Keep in mind that the artist will paint exactly what is in the picture unless you tell us what not to paint. The key to providing good pictures is to send images that show lots of detail. WE CANNOT USE AERIAL PHOTOS.
- When you have all your digital material together email them to ChartArt@charter.net. Once we have your material we will create an order form which will also be your quote. We will also then contact you with any questions.
- Once you have decided to proceed, get a clean, never been folded, chart that you want us to paint on; we use the chart you send us so we know we are painting on the correct chart. We use a piece of the chart that is about 22" x 22" so your sketch should indicate what part of the chart you want to see in the final work. Tell us what you do not want covered up. The artist will cut the chart. Do not cut or mark on the chart.
- Send the chart, and only the chart, rolled
in a tube to:
CHART ART "your unit name" CHART "your chart number"
6425 MINER DR SW
TUMWATER WA 98512-7268
We receive lots of charts so it is important that yours is marked with your unit name and chart number or it may get lost.
Q. How long does it take to get an order?
You should plan on getting your print a week from the day after you place an order. We ship US Priority mail from Tumwater, Washington.
Q. Can Chart Art mount plaques or other items inside the framed print or on the frame?
We receive this request often but unfortunately we cannot place plaques in or on the framed prints. Many customers have been successful purchasing their own plaques, disassembling the framed print (which is very simple), and inserting a plaque.
If you have any questions send them to